MEET OUR ATTORNEYS
Scott W. Clark is a registered U.S. patent attorney with more than 25 years of experience representing clients in all aspects of intellectual property and other technology-related business controversies. He has litigated dozens of patent disputes in numerous U.S. jurisdictions and before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). He has significant experience in all phases of civil litigation, from pre-filing through trial and appeal. His practice is focused on patent and trade secret disputes in a wide range of technologies, including the chemical, energy, biotech, medical device, high-tech and telecommunication industries.
In addition to litigation matters, Scott counsels clients on intellectual property enforcement, acquisition, due diligence, clearance, freedom to operate, licensing and other technology-related agreements.
He has been recognized by attorneys across the United States, making the list of the Best Lawyers in America since 2020 for intellectual property litigation.
Before joining Alavi & Anaipakos PLLC, Scott was a partner with the trial boutique Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing and the AMLaw 100 international law firms of McDermott Will & Emery LLP, and Howrey LLP, where his practice focused on intellectual property and commercial litigation.
Prior to attending law school, Scott was an IT management consultant with Andersen Consulting, the predecessor to Accenture.
Scott received his J.D., with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law and his B.S. in Chemical Engineering, with high honors, from the University of Texas at Austin. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Secured a no-payment settlement based upon favorable claim construction ruling for a hydraulic fracturing company in a $40 million patent infringement suit brought by a former vendor involving fracking proppant storage and delivery technology.
- Successfully represented Saint Lawrence Communications LLC, a Texas-based patent licensing company, in series of suits against major smartphone manufacturers regarding infringement of a portfolio of HD Voice technology patents, including a $9 million federal jury verdict against Motorola Mobility LLC.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a Canadian music services company against a patent infringement suit brought by a U.S.-based competitor after replacing prior counsel on the eve of trial.
- Secured a string of favorable settlements for Parthenon Unified Memory Architecture LLC, a Texas-based patent licensing company, in series of patent infringement suits against major smartphone manufacturers regarding memory architecture technology.
- Represented biotech company in a series of patent infringement actions across the country against its primary competitors in the transgenic seed crop industries, securing favorable licenses from each of these competitors for key seed crops. Against one competitor, license was entered following $1 billion jury verdict.
- Secured favorable offshore drilling contracts for energy company following a declaratory judgment action that the federal drilling moratorium in the Gulf of Mexico constituted force majeure under two $500 million offshore drilling contracts.
- Obtained a permanent injunction following a jury trial for infringement of a patent involving the dietary health supplement lutein. The injunction was upheld following an appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Represented multiple defendants in a series of cases brought by Ronald Katz concerning over 20 voice communication system patents, resulting in the then-largest MDL in patent litigation history. For one client, obtained summary judgment of non-infringement or invalidity for all asserted claims.
- Counsel for a technology company in an investigation by the International Trade Commission concerning six patents and imported data storage systems. The case was resolved on a confidential basis.
- Counsel for a state university in a dispute involving trade secret and ownership claims related to intellectual property rights in a drug delivery system. Case settled on a confidential basis following an unopposed motion to dismiss.
- Defended a smartphone manufacturer in an 11-patent action relating to various aspects of handset technology. The case was resolved on a confidential basis on the eve of trial.
- Counsel for a biotech company defending against false marking claims brought in North Carolina. Obtained judgment on the pleadings as to all claims.
- J.D., with honors, the University of Texas School of Law
- B.S., Chemical Eng., with high honors, University of Texas at Austin
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2023, Intellectual Property Litigation
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2023, Intellectual Property Litigation and Patent Litigation
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court – Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court – Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court – Western District of Texas
- United States District Court – Northern District of Texas
Alavi & Anaipakos, PLLC
3417 Mercer St., Suite C
Houston, TX 77027
Phone (713) 751-2362
Fax (713) 751-2341