MEET OUR ATTORNEYS
Justin Chen is an intellectual property lawyer who focuses on patent litigation. He has a degree in electrical and computer engineering and has represented major manufacturers of semiconductors, smartphones, electronic lighting controls, and others. He has litigated cases in district courts across the country as well as the International Trade Commission.
Mr. Chen has experience in all phases of patent litigation, from pre-suit investigation through trial and appeal. He has argued several Markman and summary judgment hearings. In addition, he has argued two cases before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
He has been recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch since 2021. This is a national peer review award developed by Best Lawyers in America to target attorneys for their outstanding professional excellence early in their careers. He was also named on the 2018 – 2020 Texas Rising Stars lists for his excellence in intellectual property litigation. Rising Stars, which is compiled by Thomson Reuters’ Texas Super Lawyers, honors leading attorneys age 40 and younger and those who have been in practice no more than 10 years. Fewer than 2.5 percent of eligible Texas attorneys earn this selection each year.
Mr. Chen previously worked at Vinson & Elkins and Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing.
A graduate of University of Pennsylvania Law School, Mr. Chen also has a certificate in business and public policy from the Wharton School. He graduated cum laude from Rice University, where he studied electrical and computer engineering. Before attending law school, he was a research assistant at the Rice University Center for Multimedia Communication where he designed and implemented a spectrum analyzer and memory board for the Wireless Open-Access Research Platform (WARP).
- Represented Saint Lawrence Communications LLC in a series of suits against major smartphone manufacturers regarding infringement of a portfolio of HD Voice technology patents. The results included a $9 million federal jury verdict against Motorola Mobility LLC and several favorable settlements against other defendants.
- Secured multiple favorable settlements for EVS Codec Technologies LLC in a series of patent infringement suits related to a new voice coding technology used in smartphones.
- Secured a string of favorable settlements for Parthenon Unified Memory Architecture LLC in a series of patent infringement suits against major smartphone manufacturers regarding memory architecture technology.
- Represented Super Interconnect Technologies LLC against a cell phone manufacturer in a patent infringement suit related to patents directed to signal processing and transmission. The case settled favorably before trial.
- Secured multiple favorable settlements for Nexus Display Technologies LLC in a series of patent infringement suits against major computer manufacturers regarding digital display interface technology.
- Secured a no-payment settlement based upon a favorable claim construction ruling for a hydraulic fracturing company in a $40 million patent infringement suit brought by a former vendor involving fracking proppant storage and delivery technology.
- Represented a major semiconductor manufacturer in a declaratory judgment action in the Northern District of California and a patent infringement action in the District of Delaware involving patents related to semiconductor processing, flash memory products, and integrated circuit packaging. After favorable rulings in all adjudicated phases of the two actions, the parties reached a settlement. One of the asserted patents in the Delaware action was invalidated on summary judgment based on prior art that Mr. Chen found and analyzed.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of electronic lighting controls in a patent infringement case in the District of Utah. The case settled favorably before trial.
- Represented a major smartphone manufacturer in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas and International Trade Commission.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- Senior Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- James Wilson Scholar
- The Wharton School, Certificate in Business and Public Policy
- Rice University, B.S. cum laude, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Trustee Distinguished Scholar
- L.J. Walsh Scholar
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, 2021-present
- 2018 – 2020 Texas Rising Star honors for intellectual property litigation, a list compiled by Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
Alavi & Anaipakos, PLLC
3417 Mercer St., Suite C
Houston, TX 77027
Phone (713) 751-2362
Fax (713) 751-2341